Hiring the best real estate agent or Realtor to represent you on the purchase or sale of your first or next home or is not an easy task given the number of real estate brokers/agents in any one given community. I know a handful of home buyers and sellers who fear being aligned to one agent, which is understandable given the number of horror stories one encounters on the Internet, which houses some of the same stories that are sometimes shared among friends, family and co-workers.
Questions for Home Sellers
Before you decide to hire an agent to list or sell your home, you should ask:
- Are you more than just an MLS agent? Can you outline for me how you plan to sell my home step by step?
- When, where and how often will my home be advertised to buyers?
- How will you prequalify home buyers?
- What are your typcial business hours? How many days a week do you work?
- How will you manage the showings of my home?
- How many years have you been in the business?
- How many houses have you sold year to date? In my area? Of this style? In this complex? In this section of town? Don’t settle for generalizations like, “Oh, I’ve been in the real estate business for 25 years and I’ve sold a lot of houses in your area” or “Oh, my company sells on the most houses in town XYZ.” Stats tell the true story. Ask for the cold, hard facts!
- How many buyers are you currenty working with that might be interested in buying a home?
- Do you have an assistant?
- What do you like or dislike about my home?
- Why should I hire you?
- How much is the commission?
- How long is the listing?
- Can I cancel the listing if I decide not to sell my house or if I am unsatisified?
- What do you think is the highest and bext price I can ask for my home?
- Are there any repairs or recommendations you have for me that would improve the marketing or the possibility of getting a higher price for my home?